Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Week 11: Days 71 - 77

I realize that it has been a few weeks since I've given y'all my “don't worry if you're behind, pick up where you left off, it doesn't matter if you take 365 days” spiel! A few ladies mentioned to me that they aren't “journalers” and that's okay. There are many days that I don't journal, but take notes or just soak in the lesson.

Days 71 through 77 cover signs of Jesus' return, the Passover meal Jesus shared with the disciples right before His death, and Judas' betrayal.

Jesus' return will be unmistakable and impossible to miss! Based on the gospel of Luke, Beth highlighted several things that would increase at the end of the age. There will be an increase in:
  • Christian's longing for His return,
  • the number of false-Messiah's,
  • depravity,
  • violence and cataclysmic events,
  • worldwide witness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and
  • activity of the Holy Spirit. (p.347-349)

With all the horrible things going on in our world (9/11, wars, tornadoes, floods, tsunamis, etc.) I can't help but wonder how close Jesus' return might be. Then, I realize that there are so many people in the world who have yet to hear the gospel. There is much more work to be done to bring the Word of God to the lost.

So many important lessons occurred during Jesus' final Passover meal with the disciples. Jesus was to fulfill the gospel preached to Abraham and become our substitute offering for our sins. Jesus became our Passover lamb. But, while Jesus was preparing himself for the sacrifice that He knew was coming, his disciples got in a squabble over who was greatest. If it were me, I would have been really tempted to give them a swift kick in the pants! However, Jesus patiently reinforced a lesson on humility that would eventually turn the status-seeking disciples into humble servants. (p.371)

It is so easy to get all caught up in our accomplishments; to feel good about ourselves and what we're doing, but Jesus tells us to take our eyes off ourselves to become humble servants.

Jesus chose Judas as one of his disciples, but Judas' own ambition left him wide open for Satan to take control of his life. He followed Jesus for years, but never gave his heart to Him. Instead, Judas made the choice to betray Jesus for his own gain. In the end, he gained nothing even though he tried to right his wrongs. How sad that he took his own life without experiencing God's gift of grace that could have been his through Jesus Christ. (p.357)

Ladies, I can't believe how fast the summer has flown by...I know I've said that before, but it is seriously shocking to me! I'm really looking forward to sharing brunch with you on August 30th. It's going to be fun, fun, fun!

I thank God for giving me this blessed opportunity to share in God's Word with you. I pray that you are all staying well and safe in the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment